Wednesday, April 17, 2013

My last post, My Life as a Mythic Detective


William Jones

Lit 285: Mythologies

Michael Sexson

17 April 2013

My Life as a Mythic Detective

            What is a mythic Detective? I have been asking myself this all semester and I still am unsure if I’ve completely grasped the concept. In order to define something, you need to look at its parts. Google defines a detective as “a person whose occupation is to investigate and solve crimes,” while it defines mythic as “of, relating to, or resembling myth.” Therefore after looking at these parts, I have come to the conclusion that my occupation this semester has been to investigate the mythic occurrences of my life. That is to say, I needed to discover the precedent behind every action that occurs. After coming to that conclusion, I believe that I sat in a dark room and cried for at least a week.  How could I decipher all of that information! I was awestruck as I realized that the young man from Signs and Symbols must have been a former student of Professor Sexson, driven mad by his work as a mythic detective. He was doing what I must do; he was seeing that “great mountains of unbearable solidity and height sum up, in terms of granite and groaning firs, the ultimate truth of his being"

            I slowly pulled myself from the brink of this madness, came to my senses, and I began to just think about what I must do. I’ve always had a hard time spotting the forest because of the Trees, and then it hit me! Trees! I should start with trees. So I started reviewing my blog, and with that I began to remember. I rembembered the agonizing decision of which tree I would give my affections to. This brought to mind all of my fellow tree huggers, so that I recalled Amber hoppel’s photographs of her tree. This tree turned out to be a white Birch, which has since become the only tree I can classify with any sense of confidence.

            Thus my search had begun. I looked back and saw little clues I had left for myself, a photo I had saved on my phone: a crossword puzzle clue “a Narcissist’s Love.” The thought that death is the mother of all beauty, and the words of Sonnet 73 that I sent to my great-grandmother to let her know I care. This led me to finding Shakespeare’s sonnet 53.

                “what is your substance. Whereof are you made

                That millions of strange shadows on you tend?

                Since everyone hath every one, one shade,

                And you, but one, can every shadow lend.

                Describe Adonis, and its counterfeit

                And it is poorly imitated after you.

                On Helen’s cheek all art of beauty set,

                And you in Grecian tires are painted new.

                Speak of the spring and foison of the Year

                The one doth shadows of your beauty show

                The other as your bounty doth appear

                And you in every blessed shape we know.

                In all external grace you have some part

                And you like none, none you, in constant heart.”

There was a multitude of little events that occurred on normal days, which made them anything but normal. I think the biggest moment for me occurred in a restroom of all places. I apologize if the following is crude, but lend me your ears for it is significant. In the pharmacy that I work, we have our own separate restroom, which I have used on numerous occasions over the year that I have worked back there. The moment occurred; as such moments are want to do, on a normal Saturday in March. I stood at the sink washing my hands, for cleanliness is next to godliness, and I happened to glance over. My gaze slid across the toilet and finally rested on the brand that was stamped upon its side, A single word in bold black letters “Toto”. My brain was immediately bombarded with questions. Who am I, what am I doing here, how many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop!? Those thoughts vanished almost immediately (I suppress those multiple times during the day, and have gotten quite good at it) and were replaced by the single question “Why did they Name it Toto?” I came to the conclusion that I had been given a brief glimpse at the man behind the curtain. I had noticed this small and insignificant thing that had been in front of me for over a year, and only now does it seem profound. Toto: Dorothy’s dog that had travelled with her through a twister to the Land of Oz. Now Toto resides in the Wal-Mart Pharmacy restroom, automatically creating little twisters as it flushes, sending things to Oz multiple times a day.

            Now as I watch movies, I look for the Ovidian Stories within them. I look at works of art and try to coax form them the gods, their Love, Hate, Jealousy, and Wrath. I listen to music, knowing that Elvis is most definitely Orpheus and not Apollo. I’m fairly certain that as the snow flies, on a cold and gray Chicago morn, a poor little baby child is born, in the ghetto, and the rocks would cry, opening a path to the underworld. I read my Epic fantasy novels; I look among the knights and dragons, for signs that the Epic hates incest. And here at the end, at the lifting of the veil, I See the forest, but it is the trees I truly appreciate.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment