Friday, April 12, 2013

Mythology, Art, Controversy

I was recently reading an article" 5 Amazing Stories of One Complaint Ruining it for Everyone" (http://www.cracked.com/article_20343_5-amazing-stories-one-complaint-ruining-it-everyone.html)
this brought me to Number 4 of this list where a student (a single person) on the campus of El Paso Community College was offended by this painting by Peter Paul Rubens "Saturn Devouring His Son"




it was a magazine cut out that was part of a Student's collage for art appreciation, and the collage was removed because another student wrote a letter of protest saying it offended her beliefs. Eventually in protest of the censorship, the entire display from the class was removed. I found this story kind of sad because I found the painting not only beautiful, but an interesting display of the myth. This seemed to follow in the vein of finding artworks to go along with any of the myths we read, so I figured I would post it for everyone to look at and appreciate. I think everyone is entitled to their own oppinion about liking the art work, but don't let those opinions ruin it for others. Here's the link to the school newspaper that reported the incident (http://www.epcc.edu/TejanoTribune/Archives/Nov.%205,%202009.pdf) also the original article where I found out about this is posted above.

No comments:

Post a Comment